Wednesday, 2 September 2015

The Night Circus & September's reading



It has been a little while since I have joined in with The Year inBooks over at Circle of Pine Trees. I kinda lost my reading (and if I'm honest creative) Mojo for a little while. I took a break and now I feel motivated to read again. Do you get like that?

This book took me far too long to read. Nothing to do with the book but more to do with me not finding the time to read and the aforementioned loss of motivation. I did get a bit of a sprint on during my 2 weeks off work and, as I always find, the closer I get to the end of a book the more time I seem to spend reading it.

I truly enjoyed this book, I would say that there was occasional pacing issues, sometimes the plot moved on so slowly and was very descriptive and then other times I couldn't seem to keep up with all of the developments. The book definitely improved as the story moved on.

You know those books when the characters seem to stay with you when you are not reading, when you think about the story during your daily activity and wonder about the character’s? this is how I felt about The Night Circus. The Author developed the characters so well, I had an understanding of the individuals that they were and I looked forward to reading the next chapter.

Beyond the story of the circus and I found a deeper meaning in the telling of the lives of two of the main characters and how individuals impact the world around them and the lives of others, how others use them to fulfil their own sad little end games, without any thought of the impact on others. I felt quite angry about this development but it occurred to me that it is a reality that occurs in everyday life! Even now that (after my usual couple of days off reading)  I have started my next book, the story has stayed with me. The last time I felt like this about a book was when I read The Snow Child! (I don't recall writing about this book but it was amazing) 


So my next book. I’m going a little retro now and I am reading ‘The Day of the Triffids’ by John Wyndham.  I have read this book before it was actually about 10 years ago now. Mr. M recommended that I read this book initially and I loved it, I remember being away in London for the weekend so it was my train read. The details of the book are hazy but I recall the story. Considering the book was first published in 1951, I think it is very forward thinking. I am also back to listening to books on my daily commute and I have started to listen to the ‘Shadow of Night’ by Deborah Harkness. I found the first instalment of the series gripping so I fully expect the second book to be just as good. 

I confess that I have missed the monthly book chat and feel so happy to be back and involved.

1 comment:

  1. I have even the same. I haven't been reading nearly as much over the summer, but hope to get back to it in the autumn and winter. I read Nights at the Circus some years ago and absolutely loved it, the details are hazy now but I remember it had a slightly other-worldly/macabre feel to it. Day of the Triffids is such a classic, I have read it a couple of times, but not in recent years, I look forward to hearing what you think of it X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.