Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Tsunami socks by Judy Sumner

I bought Judy's book, knitted socks east and west, some time ago now, long before I could actually knit socks. I was drawn to the gorgeous photographs throughout the book.


I am now a sock knitter (oh how I love to say that) having knitted a couple of pairs for other people but non for myself. One evening I headed to the craft room and pulled out this lovely book and as I often do with my pattern books, I flicked through trying to decide what to make. After some debate I settled on Tsunami socks, I love that with each pattern Judy provides a description, or perhaps a context for the socks themselves. I knew just the yarn to set free from my stash. So I have the pattern and the yarn, let's cast on! Oh flip I don't have the right size needles, quick order them.

The yarn used was originally intended for the Schools out cardigan and was a supersize skein of deliciousness.  Yarn garden giant burr oak 600 meters (150g) of heavenly yarn. I can't find the label to tell you what the yarn is but I know it contains silk. I bought the yarn from Yarndale in 2014 so it was good to finally release it from the stash. I still have enough left to make another pair of ankle socks too.

Once my needles arrived I cast on, after the rib every round is pretty much a pattern round, so for me a lot of concentration is required. I class myself as a novice sock knitter and taking on such a patterned sock was a big risk. They did take me a while to complete but I have to say that Judy's instructions were so good that it was a very simple pattern to follow, even telling you how many stitches on each needle.

The entire process was very enjoyable and once the socks were blocked, I was eager to wear them, it was like my feet were wrapped up in silky softness all day long.



I would really recommend judy's book, I shall be knitting up some more of the patterns myself.



This sock knitting is totally addictive, I already have another pair of socks on the go. Unfortunately  they are not for me, they are for Mr. M.




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. They look fab! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty socks. Such a soft blue. I've checked that book out from the library and drooled over the patterns a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a complicated looking pattern! These look absolutely great! Well done!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hooked on this book and the brilliant collection of patterns it contains. Each pair has worked out well and fit perfectly. With each new pattern I try my skills are improving and the instructions are super easy to follow. Yours look great I will have a go when I have finished geisha x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.