Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Tiny Owl Knits - Hoodlet

This picture does not do the beautiful Teal colour  or the cable pattern any justice!

I would say it was around 18 months ago that Mr. M bought me the Tiny Owl Knits pattern book. Tiny Owl Knits is the lady behind the Bee-keeper blanket design. not heard of that? its amazing. I have of course, along with many others started my hexipuffs for this blanket but they are as and when and I am in no hurry, I am in fact building up a stock of ball ends of 4 ply yarn to make a few more hexipuffs.

Any way I totally digressed there, lets get back onto the book. It had been in my wish list for a while and when I opened it up I was thrilled with it, the photography is amazing and the patterns are lush. I was immediately drawn to the Hoodlet but thought it was way beyond my capabilities. The book went onto the shelf!

Recently I have had a change in mindset when it comes to knitting/crochet, I do of course thing some things are beyond my capability but I still take them on one row at a time, learning a new stitches/technique along the way. I find this is really building my confidence. So last week while I was home I eventually cast it on. I bought the yarn some time ago for it knowing I wanted to knit it.

The recommended yarn is Rowan Big Wool, now I like Rowan big wool, but big wool comes at a big price costing around £90-£100 to make this garment so I researched and as mentioned before with the 'off to bed' project I found Wendy Pampas as an alternative. Wendy pampas comes in at around half the cost of Rowan big wool, but I got a notification through from Deremores saying they had a sale on this yarn and I bought the quantity I needed for around £25.00.

I dont mind spending money on quality yarn but I did think £100 was rather excessive and after the initial testing there is very little difference in the quality of the yarn.

The pattern is written so well, line for line and I have set myself little goals to reach, every row is different and requires concentration (for me anyway) there is no watching TV or talking while I am working on this one.

I've only worked on it a couple of times because as you will have read previously I was working on Old Growth cardigan but I have given it my full attention this week so far. I am so pleased that I have taken the plunge to knit this , it may take me a while but I will get there! Every one needs a really chunky knit on the hottest week of the year so far, right? Trust me to knit winter garments in the summer! haha

Don't you find that you tell yourself something is too difficult to make or it looks way beyond your capabilities but when you get round to it, you wonder what all the fuss was about?

I'm linking in with the Yarn Along today. 

7 comments:

  1. Row by row, learn as you got. That's how I do it too! I love that chunky yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I totally agree with this. I often think "what am I getting myself into" but then it seems to turn out fine in the end, it just might take me a bit longer to finish it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have found that to be true about other pricey yarns too. sometimes it isn't worth the price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have definitely fussed over a pattern, complaining and even bitterly proclaiming "I'll never do this again!" Only to finish and think, "Huh...that wasn't so bad."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on challenging yourself, and in return you are going to get a beautiful poncho. I love the colour and whereas I don't mind spending on expensive yarn, if you can get the same thing for much less than it seems silly not to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! what an amazing garment the hoodlet is! I agree, sometimes I procrastinate for months or even years before tackling something I want to do because I think I won't manage it. Then I do it..... And it's all ok! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.