Friday, 13 March 2015

The Year in Books!

Hangs head in shame!

I have very little to talk about this month in terr ms of books, not because I have not been reading, I have just not been reading very much.



I have embarked upon one of the biggest books I have ever read! Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (now Fondly known as this Mrs Norris book in this house thanks to Mr M getting confused with harry potter). The book is a little over 1000 pages long and so far i think I'm a quarter of the way through. I was lent this book by Mr D (Mrs ID's lovely husband). Relaxing in the bath with a glass of wine and my book is the best end to a day I think!

I have since learnt that it is to be made into a BBC series. I will look forward to seeing how this quirky book translates to the screen. I shall save the full reveiw of the book until I have finished it, anything can happen between now and the next 750 pages.

In other book news I have taken the advise of Christine over at A colourful life (who seems to get through an immense amount of books) and started to listen to books. I spend around 40 - 50 hours a month commuting to and from work so what better way to fill that time than listen to a book. This month I listened to A discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I had previously been put of reading because of the reviews but having the book effectively read to me made it easier. It filled up 24 hours of my commute and I found the story captivating and intriguing. What I did find fascinating was how the author managed to fit so many libraries into the story, filling in so much detail. she also dips into history in an enticing manner. I really did love the story and can't wait to listen or read part two of the trilogy. I'm spellbound by the story!

The Year in books does keep me motivated to read on and is away of discovering lots of new books, new authors and new friends too.

5 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing what you think about this book. I've passed it by more than once in the bookstore, thinking about whether I should pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to pass the time when commuting! That is 'reading' too. So you have read one and quarter books this month I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your commute will be much more enjoyable with an audio book to keep you company! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read actual books but I do also have a kindle and there are times when I am either really into a book and can't put it down or so not into it I can't wait to get to the end to move onto something else that I will sometimes listen to the text speech on the kindle. The voice is a little metal micky but it gives me the opportunity to carry on with a book whilst travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget to check out the Matthew Corbett series on Audible, it's one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.