Sunday, 22 March 2015

Edinburgh Yarn Festival

*warning, very wordy with lots of images post today! Sorry*

Last weekend I went to Edinburgh, The trip had been planned way back into last year with Mrs ID to go to Edinburgh Yarn Festival. So we headed up on the Train on Friday morning and had a lovely trip chatting and looking at the beautiful east coast views. I do like to be by the sea but wouldn't want to live so close to it myself.

We arrived just after 2 and checked into our room, dumped our bags and headed out to explore. It was grey and miserable out with the feel of rain in the air but non the less off we went. Everything with me has to be a leisurely pace as my knee won't allow me to do to much currently. The views around Edinburgh are nothing short of spectacular, I would like to have spent more time looking around the city but we only had the afternoon. I'm pretty sure I will go back.

Like I say a little grey and damp but still spectacular.

I am not at all used to city life as I have only lived in a town and now a village. So the constant buzz of traffic is a complete mystery to me, everything is so busy. The hardest thing I find about big cities, is the sheer amount of homeless people. It makes me so very sad all those people sat in the bitter cold wind and rain with no one to go home to. Living in a village it is not something I witness very often and it makes me feel so upset that these people are alone.

The architecture around Edinburgh is just inspiring.

We had a lovely drink and shortbread in the Elephant Café which is allegedly where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter although I understand there is some debate around this. The toilet walls in the ladies really made for some interesting reading. That evening we headed to meet up with a few friends at Heads and Tails bar (Gin Bar). it was amazing and I would most certainly recommend the Rock Rose Gin!!!






Saturday was the exciting day and the main reason for our visit. Edinburgh Yarn Festival. The event was held at the Corn Exchange, and I have to say it is one of the best events of this type I have been to with a well planned layout. An area where coats and bags can be checked in for the charge of £1 per item run by the teapot foundation so all money goes to a great cause. The venue was warm and comfortable with three different cafes around the building and then the podcasters lounge ( I spent a lot of time in there).  The vendors were simply amazing I think that there was a wonderful variety of vendors there catering for all, the colours were spectacular and I (as well as Mrs ID) didn’t know where to go first. It was so exciting I didn't take any photo's! doh!

I wore my Chelsea waistcoat on the Saturday and I was approached by several people asking about the pattern and complementing me on the garment and its colour. Even the lovely designer herself from Pearl Alpaca Designs stopped me and asked me to pop by her stand so she could take a picture. It was also great to meet some of the vendors in person that I have followed on Twitter and Instagram for a while now. I met the lovely Owl Print Panda (Amanda) she is so lovely and I bought a couple of her sock patterns. I saw Victoria from Eden cottage yarns, and I have to say how wonderful I think her stand is and also her partner David, who remembered that I get very claustrophobic and offered to serve me from outside the stand (how amazing is that!) I was brave and I stayed within the stand.  After lots of shopping we headed to the pod-caster lounge where we met Louise from Knit British who was hosting the lounge, Jo from Shinybees, Corrie from Plutonium Muffin, Kate from the Golden Skein, Kate (Sock Kate), Chloe who is Sparkleyshoes on twitter, Gem who is JustGem and the lovely coachhouse yarns who was there as a customer (disappointingly) and not a vendor, and so many others that I have most likely forgotten to name them.  It was a great area to chill out, I took a crochet project with me as it was portable and easy to work on. We just basically chilled out there with our projects and chatted to various people. The atmosphere of the whole day was brilliant, everyone is just so friendly.

Saturday evening we attended the Cabaaret where there was a lovely section by knitsonik, I love her sense of humour and a raffle. Several people on our table got some lovely prizes including my best friend Isla who got some super lush yarn. I sadly didn’t win anything. There was also an exceptionally hard quiz, although we did have a pack to make a sheep and Chloe (Sparkly shoes) made the cutest little sheep ever We didn’t win the quiz either but we were close. It was a lovely evening filled with wine, laughter and knitting.

just some of my purchases. 

Sunday was home day but both Isla and I had workshops in the morning, Mine was basic sock knitting with Clare Devine and Isla went off to a colourwork class. I loved my class, Clare reinforced my basic knowledge of sock construction and imparted some excellent tips on types of needles, yarns, and the different constructions too. I do now feel more confident that I can make socks!

the cutest little sock

Then off back to the corn exchange, I went straight to the podcaster lounge to catch up with everyone and then I went off for a final walk around the vendors. There was a massive change in atmosphere on the Sunday. It was more relaxed rather than a frenzy of activity, the vendor hall was a lot quieter and some of the vendors stall were looking a little sparse. It was lovely to walk around, with everyone more relaxed you were able to get to the stalls and have conversations with the vendors more easily.  I did make a couple of purchases but nothing much. As all my main purchases were on the Saturday.
We stuck around in the podcaster lounge till around three when it was time to start our long (but not as long as others) journey home. Again it was a nice relaxed trip home on the train where Isla finished her lovely colourwork knitting from the mornings workshop and I got stuck into my crochet project.

It was a wonderful weekend away, it went by so quickly in a blurr of colour and yarnyness. I miss Edinburgh, I miss the buzz, the people, the smell of yarn and the purr creativity. That said it was lovely to come home to my little family, my own soft warm toasty bed. I didn't really get to enjoy my purchases until this weekend as I was straight back into work on the Monday morning, but they are ll now updated on Ravelry and I am pleased to say I have eventually cast on the Mr's socks again. This time I will succeed!




5 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about your time at EYF. I forgot all about it and didn't have time to plan the trip. I hope to be there next year because my favourite city plus yarn festival is just perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic weekend. I have a massive soft spot for Edinburgh as I lived there for several years before I met my husband, and had lots of happy times there. Looks like you bought lots of beautiful yarn X

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a wonderful time. I had forgotten how big the castle is! I've had two trips to Edinburgh and both were fab - 20 odd years ago now! And all that wool - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooo jealous!!! I'm loving reading all the blog posts about EYF tho! Thanks for sharing... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Like you I am not sure I could cope with the volume of people in a small space, I am just not used to it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.