Monday, 3 November 2014

The Year in books Part 3

Its been a very sucessful month as far as books are concerend! I had planned to read The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and I did. Words cannot describe how much I loved this short story. I finished the book in a week but at 192 pages thats no surpirse really.

This is the first Neil Gaiman book I have read, never heard of him before I saw this book in Waterstones, I have since visted the local tearoom (which is just like visiting a friends house now), Axholme liscensed tearoom, and I had a little (well ok, rather long) chat with the lovely owner Jules who I discovered also loves Neil Gaiman books 'who doesnt?' she answered when I asked her if she liked his work! this made me smile and she immedietly listed of the books that I should add to my ever increasing to read pile. I loved speaking to Jules about books, her enthusiasm for them, she is so animated when talking about them and like me doesnt see the point on wasting precious time on books that you are simply not enjoying, and will (litrally) toss them to one side. My hour at the tearoom flew by and I felt like I could have spoken to Jules for hours more.

Sorry got a little side tracked there! Back to The Ocean at the End of the Lane, The book captured my attention from the start and I felt immediatly immersed in the story, I felt for the little boy in the story through the lonilness, the happy and sad times, so good was the story telling and the world that Gaiman created that it was totally believable to me, at times I wanted to pick the little boy up and cuddle him,tell him it will all be alright (as only a mummy can). I love how Gaiman makes the story so very real! SImply to say I was sorry when the book ended, it left me wondering did that actually happen or was it a dream? I have now been looking at further books by Neil Gaiman to start next! I am in love with Gaiman's writing style and his abilty to create such a world in which I can completely loose myself for hours at a time. 

After reading a good book it takes me a couple of days to, well I guess digest the story completely and understand what has happened, I struggle to jump straight into a new book, I like to think bout what I have read, I like to remeber the charecters. Do you do this? Mr. M can read a book as soon as he finishes another book, which sparked a little debate with good friends and it seemed that I was the odd one out, please tell me its not just me? 

After a few days had passed and much browsing my goodreads list and talking to Jules, I settled on another Neil Gaiman book (seriously hooked) I read the Graveyard Book (which I understand is also a series of graffic novels) I didnt manage a great deal of reading the first week I picked up but when I told Jules what I was reading she said 'hurry up and fisish so I can talk to you how much I love this book' she may have been a little more exuberant than it sounded just there. Again I loved the book, Gaiman's ability to drop you into the story and create a wonderful world in which I can get lost in for hours at a time. I didnt love this book as much as `Ocean at the end of the Lane' but I still loved it.



For my November read I have settled on Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield, its a book I have wanted to read for a couple of months now. I will also continue reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell which I started last week, I mentioned it just last week in another post. As a last minute entry I'm going to include The Graveyard Book graphic novel part1 which arrived on my doormat just this morning! (a lot to pack in this month)

I am taking part in The Year in Books hosted by Laura at Circle of Pine Trees. What are you reading, I am always looking for books to add to my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.