Friday, 3 October 2014

A Year in Books

The urge to read has really taken hold recently since my friend at work gave me a gentle reminder about books which was reinforced by Mrs ID. I had forgotten the great pleasure that immersing yourself into a book brings. Even more so now that autumn has taken hold and I can snuggle under a warm crochet blanket in the rocking chair with my kindle!

A cosy chair, my crochet blanket in the making
& a good book.
In September I read Broken Homes by Ben Aaronvitch. The forth book in the Peter Grant series I feel that Aaronvitch has settled into a great style. I did enjoy this book but found it kind 'plodded' and was slow to get started with very little action happening until around the last 5/6 chapters with previous chapters concentrated on character development and fully expanding the supernatural world. The books are well thought out and bridges the supernatural world and every day London together very well. I love peters sarcastic humour which often lightens the mood in places.

If a book doesn't really grab my attention from the start I will usually abandon it to the never to read again shelf (virtual shelf since I read on a kindle most of the time) however having read the previous books I knew what to expect and Aaronvitch didn't let me down, when the story was in full swing I found it gripping. I am not the fastest of readers most of the time but I did finish the book in around a week in the end with the last 6 chapters completed in 24 hours fitted around a working day (reading in my lunch break and after dinner). I found that with 2 chapters left there was no way I was going to sleep so I finished it before bed (It made for a later night than usual).

Luckily for Me Foxglove Summer (Book 5) is out in the next couple of months as Aaronvitch has left the book with a shocker of cliff hangers (honestly I really didn't see that one coming) which made up for the pacing issues in the book. I can't wait to read the next book.

My October read will be Ocean at the end of the Road by Neil Gaiman (the author of stardust) Originally written as a short story it ended up being a short novel. I am starting with smaller books to get me back into reading, plus I also have lots of knitting to be on with in an evening too. This is the first Neil Gaiman book I have read and I am really looking forward to it. I do have a couple of other potential reads should I motor through this book!


Now, I mostly read on my Kindle, but I do love a books and book shops too. I find book shops such inspiring places to be. I know that most people are either for or against a kindle where as me, I don't mind. I like the convenience of the kindle as it fits in my bag easily, the animosity it gives me as people do not judge me based on the book cover, the fact that no matter what the size of the book my kindle is always the same size, but most importantly it doesn't hurt when I start to fall asleep and drop it on my face! That said I do like the feel and the smell of real books as well. what are your thoughts? Do you prefer and e-reader or a book?

A Year in books is hosted by Laura over at A Circle of Pine Cones.

16 comments:

  1. I love OATEOTL! After reading it I felt like I did after reading cracking fantasy/fairy stories as a kid. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I shall be reading another book this month, oateotl is so good I have almost finished it!

      Delete
  2. I tend to read more actual books than those on my Kindle, but sometimes the Kindle is easier to handle. I have heard those who say you can't be a real book-lover if you use a Kindle. Such rubbish! I read whichever I feel like at the time, usually having two or three books on the go. Sitting in my favourite armchair, the Kindle on a cushion on my lap, only requires one hand to turn pages, the other can be holding a chocolate biscuit or my favourite cup of tea. What's not to like about a Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my kindle but also love books like you.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried an e-reader so have yet to be converted but I know that once you have there seems to no going back. I am not ready to try yet, I just love the feel of a book..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as long as you enjoy reading that is all that matters. The format in which you read is insignificant

      Delete
    2. I love the feel of a book too, and would always choose a paperback over my Kindle, if I have the choice. However, Kindles are great if you're reading a massive book (think A Game of Thrones) as it's therefore much easier to read on the train as you don't have to lug a great fat book around in your bag! But if I'm at home, a book can be more satisfying. But yes, as long as you enjoy reading, that's the main thing!

      Delete
    3. Hi amy, yes much more compact for the bag, but as long as you are reading I guess the format is not important.

      Delete
  4. Visiting from your link at the Year In Books. I mainly read books, but have used the kindle app on my iPad and quite enjoyed it. I think it is an individual decision, and if I were a commuter or frequent traveller I think I would use a kindle. As it is, most of my reading is done at home, so I tend to read books X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi penny, thanks for popping by, I agree kindles are convenient for a commute much not compact :)

      Delete
  5. Hi another visitor from the Years in Books. Not read this one. I read both books and from my kindle. If I see a book I will probably pick it up whilst it's there in front of me. Others I might hear about in blogland or from colleagues or have read a book and want to read more by the same author I may look for and buy on my Kindle. Other times it quite simply comes down to best price. Why pay £5+ if you can get it for 99p on the kindle. Each to their own though I suppose, but like most of us who are still getting used to the electronic age I do like the feel of a proper book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is nothing like the feel of a real book but I guess the immediacy of purchasing an e book is very appealing!

      Delete
  6. I prefer reading paper books, I like the smell of paper. Strange I know. I don't know either of the authors you write about here but will go and check them out over on Goodreads. I like a bit of supernatural but not too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is strange to like the smell of books, I love walking into a book shop just because of the smell and the memories of reading it ignites. Don't you just love goodreads?! It's one of my favourite apps

      Delete
  7. hi I found you whilst googling for ideas on photos of books on kindle - I hope to participate in A Year in Books this year but thought a photo of my kindle might be a bit dull! But against a crochet backdrop ? Perfect, thank you for the idea :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,

      Thanks for popping by here, yes the kindle can be a little bland to photograph for blog purposes so I do try to brighten it up where possible. I shall pop over to you blog to have a little nosey at your book choices. The Year in books is certainly a good way to both motivate me and discover new books. Have fun
      Shelley

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.