Monday, 29 September 2014

Knit Me KAL

For the first time in my very short knitting history I joined a Knit Along (KAL). I have never really had the time to join in due to other projects or being busy with work/study, But when Mrs. ID made me aware of this KAL I thought I would join in.

The project is the Knit me Shawl by Louise Zass-Bangham.

Looking through my stash I had some yarn to use (when it came to cast on though I didn't like the original choice and I chose another yarn, again from my stash). The only thing I needed to buy was some size 6 beads so the idea really appealed to me.

So how does the KAL work? The cast on date was the 1st September and runs to the end of September, The aim is to complete the project by the end although in this case WIP's are okay. The group is hosted over at Ravelry and the forum group provides a platform to chat with other members of the KAL and get support where needed. One member of the KAL in Ravelry will win a prize at the end of September

The Knit Me shawl can be made to the desired length, its such a lovely pattern to work and knits up really quickly too. I have used a lovely 4 ply rainbow yarn which I discovered in my Nana's loft with no ball band on it but its really nice to work with. I have had it in my stash for a while now (I didn't list it on my Ravelry stash as I don't know how much yarn there is or the brand of it so I kept it for such an occasion like this. I did think that the beaded boarder would cause me issues as I had never done it before but after the third beaded picot I had got the hand of it and zoomed off.

My only concern has been the serious curling of the pattern as I knitted, although the pattern and Mrs. ID had said that it may curl a little. I was concerned that mine was really bad.  I was assured by a lovely lady on the Ravely group after putting a post up about my concerns, that it would be okay after blocking so I persevered and pleased to say I am very happy with the end product.

Knit me took me around 3 weeks to finish and that's with mostly knitting in the evening after work (which is usually my only knitting time). I still have half the yarn I started with left which means I can use this for another smaller project or Hexipuffs!


Full details of my project are available on my Ravelry page where I put all my projects (purely as it is great to see what I have done when I look back), if you would like to take a look.

I am finding that with this pattern and the Chelsea waistcoat I am staying to one project at the time which is completely unheard of! I usually have several things on the go at once and can never keep up with myself! I look forward to my next KAL.

I am on Bloglovin if you wish to follow my blog that way.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley! Beautiful shawl ... well done! I've done quite a few KALs and they're great cos they keep me focussed on one project at a time! Like you, i'm usually a bit of a project butterfly if left to my own devices. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this what you were wearing at Yarndale? It looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. Thank you & it was great to see you there. X

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.