Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Addiction

The one where I bare my sole!

Addiction comes in many forms, the most conmen and I guess ones we most associate addiction with are Alcohol, Cigarettes and drugs but we forget there are other addictions that can be just as serious.

I have witnessed addiction, I would say my entire life. My father is/was an alcoholic he left my mum and I when I was 2 and I have had an on off relationship with him ever since. The one thing about him is that he works very hard but he drinks just as hard, why he drinks I never found out but I guess it was because his father was also an alcoholic. I offered help some years ago before my little lady entered the world but I guess at that time he was just not ready to give up the drink and wouldn't admit that he had a problem. So is addiction a genetic illness (I say illness as that is what I see it as)? I have always been so very careful to not go down that route, being dependant on substances is not great but I have always been aware that I have an addictive personality.

Before you judge anyone please consider their circumstances. I have never judged anyone for their addiction or illness there must be something that drives them to their addiction in the first place.

So where am I going with this? I have an addiction. My addiction is to sugar. I have had a dodgy relationship with food all my life. I have gone through stages of not liking food and managing to hardly eat anything at all to the complete opposite where I constantly eat, as you can imagine I have therefore been very small fitting into a UK size 6 to being a little chubby in a UK size 14. I have a constant mental battle with my feelings towards food but most in particular with high sugar foods which I often cant get enough of and is in most foods. 

I feel like I am constantly on a diet these days and of late my weight & self body image have really gotten me down but often the draw of sugar is what lets me down. I did try the 'I quit sugar' book but found it very time consuming to sort the menu's out for it and although we do eat fresh cooked food most days here in the little house in the corner and very rarely buy pre-packed processed food I do tend to eat sweets, chocolate, biscuits and high sugar foods because they are convenient. As much as I want to loose weight and be healthy I always struggle to give up the sugar, as soon as I have a little piece of chocolate I know I want more! 

So in my eyes the biggest step is putting it out their and saying 'yes I have a problem' granted I don't see this addiction as being as serious as alcohol/drug dependency but it can have serious health implications in long term, so I am holding my hands up and saying yes I am a sugar addict, I struggle to say 'no thank you' to the sugar filled foods so this is what I am going to do.

I am going to do something about it. Yes I will continue to bake my weekly cake but I'm going to look for low sugar alternatives and I am going to seek low sugar foods. I know that once I have sugar I will want more. I am not going to quit sugar entirely as I think it is not entirely possible but I am going to cut down on the serious amounts of sugar that I eat and look for a healthy more balanced diet.I am a big believer of a little of what you like does you good and the minute you restrict something the more you crease it.

Now that I have told the world that I am a sugar addict I am going to do my best to maintain a healthy balanced and low sugar diet.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem? do you have any suggestions for me to help me on my way?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley, twiggytoes here, have you ever thought about going to a naturopath and being tested, you may be lacking in something that makes you crave sugar (speaking from family experience) just a thought. I was told I had an addictive personality so have been careful also.....does a huge yarn stash count tho???? Take care lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelley - well done you for facing your demons! I'm actually in the business of addiction as a treat people to quit smoking using auricular therapy. You've done the first step by admitting your weakness. Now you have to learn to control it which is exactly what you've decided to do. I help people quit smoking completely but to quit sugar completely would be difficult. Try keeping a "sugar diary" and write down every day whenever you have something with sugar in. Try and assign a mark for each thing like 1 point for a spoon of sugar in your tea and 5 points for a piece of cake. Then set yourself a daily limit. You could start at 10 or 15 just to ease yourself into it. After the first week drop your allocation down by 2 or 3 points until you get to 5. Stick with 5 as that way you aren't denying yourself anything. If you have a day where your points shoot up, make the next day a low points day to balance it. Keeping a diary is a great way to see patterns of behaviour (ie your monthly cycle could kick off a sugar craving) and also makes you much more aware of what you eating and when. Try it and see how you get on. Keep in touch with progress..... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the sugar addiction -perhaps just as well seeing as I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a year ago! - but I do have an addictive personality. I can never have just a handful of crisps...if it's a certain brand I have to really, really control myself not to eat the lot. Salty things seem to be my downfall more as I've got into my sixties, than sweet things. Maybe my body telling me to keep away from sugar? Why then, doesn't it tell me to keep away from salt since I have high blood pressure?!
    My father too, drank to excess. He worked in an environment where there was no alcohol allowed for two to three weeks, but when he got back on shore, he would make up for it. It killed him in his early fifties, and that was thirty years ago now. So when I saw my eldest son taking a liking to drink, I lectured him. He didn't see it as my being concerned of course, just interfering. So I left him to it, there's nothing you can do but advise is there?
    I hope you manage to find the alternative low sugar substitutes, and good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for taking control! And don't give up in your quest for a Healthy You. If you fall off the sugar wagon, just climb right back on. Let us know your progress! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by at Little House in the Corner, I appreciate your visit and your comments.